Tuesday, May 27, 2008

summer music update: latin piano jazz & blood-painted CD cases

I hope everyone's summer is going well-- mine definitely is. I've been hanging out at SU for May term, which has given me plenty of time to find awesome music and waste time lounging around at the radio office in our newly-obtained comfy couch. So, I thought I would let you guys about some of the awesomeness I've uncovered in the past few weeks.

We watched a film called The Buena Vista Social Club in my world music class, and afterwards, I looked up some of pianist Ruben Gonzalez's stuff, which is really, really cool Latin piano jazz. And, at the time that the album with this track was released, Gonzalez was almost eighty years old. Crazy. If you like this, definitely check out the Buena Vista Social Club album, in which Gonzalez played with several other amazing Cuban musicians.

Cumbanchero - Ruben Gonzales

Last summer, I became aware of the band Everything, Now! because someone requested "I Live in a Trailer Park" while I was DJing at KTXT. I really thought the song was cool and catchy and strange, but only recently did I look at any of their other stuff. They made a CD without a record label in 2007 entitled "Ugly Magic" which can only be bought directly from them on their website. Wikipedia tells me that they put together the packaging for the CD by hand and "and used their own blood to paint the CD case." So, I bought the CD, got it in the mail a couple of weeks ago, and gave it a listen. As for whether or not the cases are painted with blood... well, it was red and a tiny bit sticky... uh... well, the album is very good in any case.

Cursed Be the Everything Now! And All Who Sail With It - Everything, Now!

1 comment:

NML said...

ahhh, musica cubana :]